Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Bucharest baby! Bucharest!

I arrived at the airport in Portland, Maine (after a week of playing Navy) too late to check my bags, so I had to get switched to a connecting flight to Philly then on to DC, where I was to board my international flight. Murphy's law prevailed and after a delay on the ground in Portland, missed the connection to DC in Philly. I was then switched to a flight direct to Munich from Philly, but the glitch was that my bags were checked to get onto the connection I had missed, and were nowhere to be found. I was told that if they had made the connection I had missed, they would be sent to DC and held there for security reasons - while I went on to Bucharest without them. You have to love homeland security (that remark probably just got me flagged by the FBI). Anyway, after about a half hour of searching on the part of the airline staff, my bags were located, but had to be rechecked for the remainder of the trip. Of course, all of the flight changes caused me to be flagged for "special screening" by security. After a very thorough inspection (no body cavity search involved, thankfully) I finally got aboard the flight. The third variable in all of this was that once I was in Munich, I had to change airlines from US Airways to Lufthansa. I have to give some praise to German effiency here - I thought it was going to be a nightmare, but it was the smoothest part of the flight, and as a bonus the airport in Munich had full wireless internet access.

So I finally made it here and was taken to my "apartment". I won't go into details about it, but its a far cry from my luxury pad in Chicago. It does have a couple of large balconies though, which are actually bigger than my bedroom. See the pics for the views.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home