Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A hard days night...

While jet lag is certainly not a uniquely Romanian experience, waking up at 3:30 am in Bucharest does add a little something extra to it. There was no way I could get back to sleep so I decided to tough it out and stay awake. Eventually the rest of the city woke up and it was time for my first language lesson at 9am. Now I can say "Ma cheama Mike. Cum te cheama?" Beyond that, and its back to English. Fortunately, I have 10 more weeks of language class to get past "My name is Mike. What is your name?" Well, by this afternoon I was already nodding off in my very first meeting with the project team. I did the math and realized that I had woken up at about 9:30 EST and as far as my body was concerned, by 4 pm Bucharest time I had been awake "all night" and was heading into late morning by EST. Hopefully tonight will be a normal rest. If not, the coffee here is incredibly strong, which I suppose is why they serve it in such tiny cups!

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Well at least your language is Latin-based--it sounds kinda like "como te llamas" {Spanish.) Try KAK CTE KAZVAMTE? KAZVAM CE JOEL; now imagine that in Cyrillic with a 3 for Z and B for V.

Anyhow, you can see my blog at joel.froese.com

Ryan's is at: TravelWithRyan.BlogSpot.com

11:40 AM  
Blogger jkd said...

Welcome! Glad to hear your bags didn't get impounded in DC..that wouldn't have been a happy way to start the next 14months.

So, your flat in Bucharest isn't just like living on LaSalle?? Shocking...truly!

Good luck and pls keep the Bulgaria crew posted.

Julia

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home