Sunday, October 23, 2005

Czech yourself!


I went to Brno, in the Czech Republic, for the weekend of Oct 21-23. It's about 150 kilometers south of Prague. Its kind of a small town with the usual Eastern European small town features like a large square, churches, and a few fortifications around. It felt strange to be back in a place where I didn't know ANY of the language. I guess I had become used to getting by with the limited Romanian I knew. I have to say that the look on a Czech person's face when you repond to them in Romanian is almost priceless. Its best to stick with English and hope for the best, which isn't usually much in smaller towns like Brno. After shooting a little pool with some friends on Friday night, I kind of got cornered at the bar by a pretty drunk Czech guy who loved all things American, especially the old TV series "Married with Children" and the "American Pie" movies. I knew this because every few minutes he would look in my direction, proudly say "Al Bundy!" and make the football throwing pose. Between that, he also kept saying "Michigan!" and "Stifler!" while pounding me on the back. Other highlights of the trip included some pretty good chicken and beef fajitas, great Czech beer for a buck, and a zany Czech movie with English subtitles on the bus back to Prague!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home